Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Plum Friands

What do you do with 4 egg whites and these plums?

d'agen plums

You make friands of course!

plum friand

After making the plum custard tart I was left with two things - egg whites and plums. One of the best uses of egg whites comes in the form of a friand. Unlike my previous version which used coconut flour, I've gone for the gluten free option once again and used the more easily found, rice flour instead.

You might notice these don't have they regular friand shape - I've run out of cases and the Essential Ingredient doesn't have them in stock either so I've improvised and made them using large muffin cases (about 7cm/3inch wide).

plum friands

Plum Friands
[Makes 9]

150 grams butter, melted and cooled
150 grams pure icing sugar, sifted
50 grams rice flour, sifted
100 grams almond meal
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
D'Agen plums, quartered
pearl sugar, optional

Whisk the egg whites with the vanilla bean paste/vanilla extract until light and fluffy - you want to stop before they reach soft peak stage.

Place the icing sugar, rice flour and almond meal into a bowl and stir briefly. Make a well in the centre and pour in the cooled melted butter - stir briskly to incorporate.

Add in a large spoonful of the beaten egg white, stir well to slacken the mixture before adding the remaining egg whites. Be gentle when stirring through the egg whites.

Divide the mixture amongst the cases and then pop into each case 2 plum quarters - they will sink into the mixture.

Sprinkle over with a little pearl sugar if desired.

Bake in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven for about 15-25 minutes or until cooked through and golden.

Allow the friands to cool in their cases before un-moulding.

plum friands

If the way Paalo inhaled these is any indication, they will be a sure fire hit in your home!

Tagged

6 comments

  1. Haalo, I have never tried friands, can you believe it?

    These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your initial photo with the plus- beautiful! I also have never tried friands. They look good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Haalo,
    These do look and sound so good. And gluten-free is a bonus because my new neighbour is gluten (& dairy) intolerant and I have been scratching my head over what sweet treat I can make for her. A lot of stuff I want to make may be gluten free but not dairy free. This recipe is great because I also have all the ingredients at home!

    As for these plums, they are a gem and I only see them for a week or two (maybe longer, I never notice) in Sydney and I always make this:
    http://sweet-sins.blogspot.com/
    2007/01/summer-delight-sugar-
    plum-cake.html

    nora

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this recipe - looks fantastic - and I always avoid those recipes which call for either egg yolks or egg whites because I wonder what anyone does with leftover eggs - must remember this recipe for those occasions

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a disgrace that I only found your site now, look at all that I have missed out on!!! I have bookmarked your site, and I WILL most definitely be back. Both plum recipes look fab - check out my plum rendition if you have time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Patricia - oh you must give them a try.

    Thanks Ginny - one bite and you'll be hooked.

    Thanks Nora - that recipe looks great I'll have to try it!

    Thanks Johanna - you can also freeze egg whites, which is what I do when I only have 1 or 2 leftover from a recipe. When I get enough I then use them to make friands.

    Hi Nina and welcome - your caramelised plums look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig