Thursday, August 23, 2007

Barambah Butter

Barambah Organics is based in Queensland and are producers of a large range of dairy products and for a change instead of featuring a cheese, I'll be looking at their butter.

Barambah Butter

Barambah Organics Butter with Sea Salt - it wins a tick with its ingredients list, the only ingredients Organic Cream and Sea Salt. Makes a welcome change from commercial butters where you'll see that water has been added.

Barambah Butter

Open the lid and you'll be rewarded with a sunflower yellow butter - it's not as homogeneously churned as the commercial product, there's slight veining through the mix that gives it a little character.

Barambah Butter

To get a proper indication of the butter I have relied on butter aficionado Paalo for his expert opinion - it's more salty than regular butter but also feels more creamier in the mouth.

Although this is a more expensive product it probably is on par with the price of French imports. Try it on some good crusty bread and perhaps, use it in a bread and butter pudding.

Bread and Butter Pudding ©

Tagged with

5 comments

  1. I love my butter! Where can I get this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of Barambah organics! We subsisted on their creamy, almost malty milk when we lived in Brisbane.

    Not sure where you got your butter, Haalo, but I think I've noticed Barambah products (not the milk - the less perishable ones) at one of the organic stands at the Queen Vic Markets, and also at Piedemontes in North Fitzroy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Plum - I got this from Organic Elements at Prahran Market, Ripe the Organic Grocer at Prahran market also stocks it but it costs a little more there. I've also seen it at Macro Wholefoods in Richmond and thanks to Cindy you've got more places to find it!

    Thanks Cindy for the info - I quite like their cream too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learnt from my Australian Gastronomy research that you guys have one of the most efficient dairy production industries in the world. One thing I'm curious about is whether there's any demand for kangaroo milk in Oz? A quick look tells me that their milk is pinkish and packed full of nutrients and goodness. Just something I wondered about...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Trig - Hmm, I'm not sure how one would go about milking a kangaroo let alone catching it in the first place. There is an anti-kangaroo attitude around from the usual suspects, there's a lot of angst about it because it is on our coat of arms, along with the emu and people think it's wrong to eat the national symbol of your country.

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig